...Building 32   Site ID No.: 2
Sand Point Naval Air Station
...
HISTORY DISTRICT
Name: Landplane Hangar
Address: NOAA Road & 63rd Ave NE


South Elevation

Courtesy of Artifacts Inc.
Built in 1939 (with WPA funds), this large Landplane Hangar provided shelter for Navy planes. It was sited across Avenue B (now 63rd Ave NE) directly east of Building 2 for proximity to the plane assembly and repair facility. It was also sited near the landing field, which was east of the hangar. The flying field no longer exists. Two two-story, steel frame lean-tos (wings) with corrugated asbestos siding were added to the Landplane Hangar (Building 32) using WPA funds. NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) is the current owner.  


2007 google earth image

NOAA Sign on South West corner of building                                 Hangar Door Close Up
      

West Hangar Doors

Courtesy of Artifacts Inc.

North- West Elevation

Courtesy of Artifacts Inc.



GO TO: HISTORY PAGE